Table of Contents
- Basic Quality Assurance and Quality Control (QAQC)
- Setting up Your Workspace
- Download Data from the United States Census Bureau
- Skill Drill: Download Census Data
- Adding County Data to ArcMap
- Skill Drill: Adding Data to ArcMap
- Documenting the Quality of the Metadata
- Skill Drill: Document the Metadata Quality
- Precision vs Accuracy
- Compressing the Project Folder as a 7z File
Download Data from the United States Census Bureau
In a previous activity, you learned how to download data from the Humboldt County GIS Data Download web page. In this exercise, you will download the data from the United States Census Bureau.
Open the Chrome browser and navigate to the United States Census Bureau Cartographic Boundary Shapefile page at https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/data/tiger-cart-boundary.html.
If you do not have the Chrome browser, you can download it here.
On the Counties page, right-click the link to download the 500K resolution. Select, Save Link As, then browse to your Original folder and click Save.
In a previous activity, you learned how to decompress a file using 7zip. In Microsoft Windows, navigate to your original folder. You should see the zip file for the county 500k data. Right-click on the file, select 7zip, then Extract Here. Be sure to delete the zip file when you are done decompressing it. You won’t need it anymore. Eliminating the zip file saves space and helps to avoid confusion later.