Table of Contents
- Electromagnetic Spectrum
- Image Acquisition
- Image Formats
- Image Acquisition Programs
- Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Image Interpretation
Chapter 6 Tutorials
It is possible that many, if not most, of my students, were not alive before digital aerial imagery became commonplace. Most also have little direct experience with film-based photographs. Today, anyone with an internet connection and a web browser can view images from aircraft and space satellites. With imagery so commonplace and accessible, I find many students take it for granted.
However, there are still new frontiers emerging in the collection, application, and processing of images. The scientific and educational potential of civilian-operated unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) is just one. Chapter 6 presents the phenomenon, concepts, equipment, and methods behind the science of Remote Sensing.
- Describe the basic principles of electromagnetic energy
- Summarize spectral bands and their mapping applications
- Identify different types of imagery resolution
- Compare the differences between aerial photographs and digital imagery
- Discuss active and passive sensing
- List remote sensing platforms
- Recall historical and current national and commercial programs for image acquisition
- Explain the principles of image correction
- Apply image enhancement techniques.
- Articulate the fundamentals of image interpretation and classification